Skip Navigation

Travel Advice


New rules will apply for travel to Europe from January 2021, below is what you need to know before you travel.

  • Check your passport: 
    Different passport validity rules will apply to UK Nationals visiting Europe from January 2021.  You must check your passport validity online as you may need to renew it earlier than planned. On the day of travel your passport must have at least six months validity left and be under 10 years old.   This does not apply to travel to Ireland.  Visit here for more information:  Check your passport.

  • Make sure you have adequate travel insurance:
    European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) may not be valid from January 2021. Make sure you get travel insurance that covers your needs, particularly if you have a pre-existing medical condition. Visit GOV.UK to check what your travel insurance should cover.

  • Ensure you have the correct driving documents: 
    You do not need an international driving permit (IPD) to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Iceland or Liechtenstein.  However you may need am IDP to drive in Norward and some EU countries if you only have a paper licence, or a licence that was issued in Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man. With effect from 28 September 2021, the distinguishing mark (or national identifier) on vehicles registered in the United Kingdom, that are to be driven abroad, will change from GB to UK.  Find out more The identifier can be incorporated into the registration number or  as a separate sticker.  The requirement for Green Cards, an international certificate for driving in the EU, has been removed by the European Commission with effect from 2 August 2021.  Driving in the EU.
  • Check to see if you requite a visa:
    Tourists will not need a visa for short trips to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.  You'll be able to stay up to 90 days in any 180 day period.  You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer.  Different rules apply for visits to Croatia, Bulgaria, Cyprus and Romania.  Please see here for the latest government advice.

  • Renew your pet passport:
    From 1 January 2021 your pet will not be allowed to travel on their UK passport and you will need to allow at least 4 months to arrange travel with your pet.  Follow the up to date guidelines here.

  • Mobile Phones: 
    From 1 January 2021, surcharge free roaming will no longer be guaranteed when travelling in the EU although the big network providers have said that they have no plans to change their charging structure at the moment. Also, whilst there is a UK government regulation which protects against 'unexpected charges' by setting a limit of £45, above which the phone company needs the customer agreement, we recommend that you check with your network provider before travelling.

  • Food:
    From 1 January you will be unable to take meat, milk or products containing them into EU countries. There are some exceptions eg, certain amounts of powered infant milk or pet food required for medical reasons. Check the rules about taking the food and drink into the EU on the European Commission Website

Passports and Visas

You must ensure that you have a valid, acceptable passport and any required visa or other documentation needed for all of the destinations you will be visiting. If a visa or other document is required, don’t leave it until the last minute, please allow plenty of time to make the necessary arrangements.

If you are a British Citizen please refer to the advice from the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office at and select the required country.

If you are not a British Citizen please contact the appropriate consulate or embassy for advice.


If you have specific health requirements please seek professional health advice well in advance of travelling.

You can also refer to the advice published by the National Travel Health Network and Centre on the TravelHealthPro website and by NHS (Scotland) on the fitfortravel.

For British Citizens visiting a European Union country you can apply for a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The EHIC isn’t a substitute for medical and travel insurance, but it entitles you to state provided medical treatment that may become necessary during your trip.

To apply for an EHIC card please visit

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office Travel Advice

The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office offers advice about travelling abroad and this can be found at then selecting the required country.

Travel Insurance

It is a requirement of booking with Alan Rogers that you have adequate travel insurance which covers you for your holiday. Please check your insurance policy carefully to ensure that you are fully covered for all the activities in which you intend to participate and that the policy covers the cost of any medical treatment and repatriation that may be required.


The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office are no longer advising against travel to any of our European destinations.

Some countries only allow entry for tourists if they are fully vaccinated. You should continue to follow the UK Government travel advice before you travel abroad, including latest developments and advice on foreign travel during the COVID-19 pandemic. You can find up to date guidance here


All persons arriving in the UK must fill in a passenger locator form up to 48 hours before arrival. You must declare all countries you have visited in the 10 days before arrival.

Before departure check if any of the countries you have visited are on the red list.

If you have visited a country on the red list you must book a managed quarantine hotel. You can only enter England if you are a British or Irish National, or you have residence rights in the UK. You must enter through a designated port of arrival.

If you have not visited any countries on the red list, check if you qualify as fully vaccinated.

If you qualify as fully vaccinated you must book a test to take on or before day 2.

If you do not qualify as fully vaccinated you must:

These measures apply to all persons (including UK nationals and residents) arriving in the UK from outside the common travel area comprising the United Kingdom, Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands. The British Overseas Territories are not in the common travel area. Public health requirements may vary depending upon in which nation of the UK you are staying.


Northern Ireland:



Failure to comply with these measures is a criminal offence and you could be fined. There are a limited set of exemptions from these measures. Check the list of exemptions carefully. You may be fined if you fraudulently claim an exemption.

    As rules and regulations can change quickly it is really important to check the official guidance before and during your holiday